Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tighten your wallet AND your belt. Eat healthy and save.

One of the things I found very frustrating during my bout of trying to climb out of debt was the grocery store expense.  I have always been what I consider, a healthy eater.  I'm not an extremist. I'm certainly no vegan, nor do I demand everything be purely organic, and I don't make everything from scratch. I do however, believe in moderation, the four food groups, and a colorful plate.  Do you know how frustrating it is to save money at the grocery store AND try to be healthy?   Why is it that the processed food, junk food, and pretty much "crap" is all so cheap?? All the while, the healthy, fresh, and pure food is soooooo pricey. No wonder America has an obesity problem!  Anyway, I digress....

After 5 years of learning to tighten my budget in the grocery sector of my life, I learned quite a few things.  I have managed to go from Ramon noodles and PB&J, to a healthy collection of edibles. I would like to give you a few tips on your grocery store adventures and you might be surprised at the money you can actually save! Some are very obvious simple tips we all know, yet forget from time to time and some are more can be little more time consuming and for the real dedicated!

  • Always make a list before you go - This will help keep you from splurging on items you didn't really need or want to begin with
  • Never go on an empty stomach - Being hungry will make EVERYTHING in the store look appetizing and before you know it, your cart has enough to feed a family of 12 for the next 2 weeks!
  • Stocking Day should be shopping day - Find out when your store stocks their shelves. You will have a better selection to chose from and the items you purchase will last longer.
  •  Check your supply on hand first - This can go along with making a list, but take a quick glance at what you already have so you don't buy unnecessary items.  It stinks to come home with items you already have in the fridge and pantry.
  • Plan meals - Think about the week ahead and plan a few meals.  This way you have the ingredients on hand when its time to cook and you don't have to make any last minute trips to the store.
  • Coupon-ers BEWARE - When used in the right way, these can be awesome! However, don't feel the need to use them on products you never intended to buy just because you will save a little. In the end you are spending more.
  • Coupons can be GOOD - There is growing popularity in the use of coupons and I myself am still mastering the art. This is the best thing I have learned in just the past year thanks to a friend guiding me to the website of Southernsavers.com.  I will write more about this later.  It is a fabulous reference that will teach you the art of couponing.
  • Break away from Name Brands - Brand loyalty can be a good thing, but try some store or generic brands.  They can be less expensive and just as good.
*I have many more tips to save, but don't want to OD on my first post about food. :)

Tuesday is my grocery store day. My local store puts out a lot of fresh produce on Tuesday AND discounts a lot of items they need to clear off the shelf that are nearing expiration dates. Here was my trip today.

  

 Total = $107.35


Actual Paid = $62.79

Saved 42%

How did I do this?

1) I made a list of what I needed first. My list included no NAME BRANDS or specific items. i.e. I wrote down  "milk and cereal", NOT "Mayfield and Cheerios".
2) I went to my trusty southernsavers.com.
3) I compared my list to what was listed as a deal from the website above. If there was a match and I was willing to take the deal item, I added the specific item to my list.
4) I pulled only the coupons that fit these items. I have a BIG stash of coupons.
5) For any additional items that were on my list, yet there were no deals or coupons, I kept them on my list anyway.  i.e. Bananas weren't on sale and there were no matching coupons, but they are so good for you and pretty inexpensive anyway. A weekly must-have for me.
 6) I double checked my grocery budget for the week to remind myself what I was allowed to spend.

7) I went to the store, followed my list, and came home with a thicker wallet and a healthier pantry for the week ahead.

As you can see I managed to snag up ALL FOUR food groups and get some stuff for my cat and toiletries!  Bonus! 

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!  Now, what do I want for lunch......

No comments:

Post a Comment